Tuesday, March 22, 2011

June 23, 1991

I hated my childhood ...hated where I came from & the family I belonged to, where we lived, the car we drove & the clothes I wore.  I hated my mom, my step-dad, my father & mostly, I hated myself.

Anytime my parents went out, I'd fantasize about them never coming home.  If they died, at least I could miss them.  On June 23, 1991, my wish came true.  That was the day I lost my mom in fatal car accident.  She was 39 when she died, 81 days away from turning 40.

From that day on, I've always wondered if I'd live longer than my mom and I swore that no matter what, my life would be better.  At the age of 20, with a pile full of past and an ache for better, more and just plain away, I set out to be anything but my mother.

In 7 days, on March 28th, 2011, I will be 81 days from 40.  Have I succeeded?  Have I done better?  Am I so different from my mom?  If I do live longer, will I make it count?

I don't know exactly where this will take me but over the next 81 days beginning March 28th, I'll share some of my memories, quirks, thoughts and personal struggles in hopes of moving closer to contentment and getting out of my own way as I strive for better.

7 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading more. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are AMY and so much more...cant wait to follow the 81 days with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm so glad you started this. I'm looking forward to the journey over the next 81 days. Love you punkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you, Amy! You have made it thru some very difficult times and you have quite a great journey ahead of you. You are strong and you persever. I know you can make it, afterall, your strength is empowering! I miss you and will always love you! xoxox Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg... first off Ames, I have tears in my eyes as I am posting this comment... These are some of the most heartfelt words I have ever read by someone I actually know... cant wait to read more <3

    -Sim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Amy! Beautiful writing, and a really exquisite focus. I'm looking forward to following you on your 81 day journey, reading about an extraordinary woman, survivor, champion, and all around beauty. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, what courage! You are awesome! Thank you for sharing this with me and allowing me to join you on your journey!! :))

    ReplyDelete